What questions should I ask before joining a clinical trial?
While you may have your own list of questions to ask, these are a good starting point.Download as PDF
Questions to ask your doctor:
- Do you think this clinical trial is right for me?
- Why are you recommending a clinical trial/this trial for me?
- How do you think I will benefit from participating?
- What are my risks if I join or do not join?
- Do you know if I meet the requirements to join the trial?
- Is there any information about the safety or efficacy you can share?
- How many people are on this clinical trial?
Questions to ask the clinical trial team at the clinical trial site:
- How is the treatment being studied different from regular treatments or standard care?
- Will you work with my doctor?
- Have similar clinical trials been done? What were the results?
- Will I get a placebo?
- Who will pay for my participation in the clinical trial? Will there be any cost to me personally?
- Will I need assistance from a family member or friend?
- Where do I have to go to participate? How often?
- Will I have to change my daily habits?
- Will I have tasks to do on my own at home?
- Will I be able to work, exercise, take my regular medications, etc.?
- What kind of tests will I have?
- Will I have to stay in a hospital?
- What do I do if I have reactions to the treatment?
- What if I get sicker during the trial?
- Can I talk with others in this trial?
- Can I still see my family doctor or primary care physician during the clinical trial?
- What are the risks if I am pregnant or become pregnant during the clinical trial?
- What other options do I have?
- Can I leave the clinical trial at any time?
- What happens after the clinical trial?
Questions to ask as a caregiver:
- As a caregiver, what can I expect? Will I be asked to do certain tasks?
- What changes should I look out for?
- How is the experimental treatment taken or used? How can I help?
- Who do I contact with questions?
- What support/resources does the clinical trial team offer caregivers?
- What financial support does the clinical trial team offer participants and caregivers for expenses (for example, parking, travel, meals, etc.)?